Pet Preparedness Tips with Rocky
Ever wonder what you need to do for your pet dog or cat to prepare in case of a natural disaster? Rocky Kanaka covers 5 tips on how to prepare your pack for a flood, earthquake, or hurricane.
Here’s what you can do to make sure you’re prepared:
- Make sure your dog (or cat!) wears their collar and tag with up-to-date identification
- Be sure to write your pet’s name, your name, and contact information on your pet’s carrier
- Consider micro-chipping your pet as a more permanent form of identification
- Always bring pets indoors at the first sign or warning of a storm or disaster
- Keep a pet emergency supply kit
- Many emergency shelters do not accept pets – keep a list of pet friendly hotels, motels or campsites, including phone numbers, with your disaster supplies in case you need to evacuate
Not only are people and their pets affected, but animal shelters are also affected. Entire shelter facilities can be completely displaced, get cut off from power or water, and have to evacuate. Here are some ways you can support these animals and organization in need:
- Make a donation to the local shelter in need
- Make a donation to organizations that specifically help dogs and cats during disasters, such as Red Rover
- Drop off supplies such as dog food, dog treats, and towels
- Become a foster for displace animals
Rocky’s work as CEO of DOG for DOG and creator of SAVE our SHELTER has just begun. Make sure you join this movement and follow Rocky’s YouTube Channel!
Header photo by Red Rover